The president of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) expressed “sorrow and prayerful solidarity” with the Muslim community May 19 after a shooting at the Islamic Center of San Diego left three people dead.
“I extend our profound sorrow and prayerful solidarity following the tragic shooting at the San Diego Islamic Center,” Archbishop Paul Coakley said in a statement on behalf of the USCCB.
“We stand with Chief Imam Taha Hassane, the entire Muslim community, and all who mourn in the wake of this senseless violence, affirming our shared commitment to the dignity of every human life and the rejection of hatred in all its forms,” he said.
As Zeale News previously reported, two teenage gunmen opened fire at the San Diego mosque May 18, killing three men before later dying from apparent self-inflicted gunshot wounds after fleeing the scene. Police said children and staff inside the mosque’s school were safely evacuated during the attack, which took place during school and religious activities.
>> Gunmen kill 3 at San Diego mosque before dying of apparent self-inflicted gunshots, police say <<
Archbishop Coakley said the bishops were praying for the victims and their families while calling for peace in the aftermath of the shooting.
“In moments such as these, we are reminded of the call to be instruments of peace,” Archbishop Coakley stated, quoting Pope Leo XIV as saying, “Where violence wounds the human family, compassion and unity must be our steadfast reply.”
“May God console the grieving, strengthen the injured, and guide us all toward greater understanding, justice, and peace,” the archbishop concluded.