Bishop Michael Martin, OFM Conv., delivered a highly anticipated pastoral message via video this weekend, calling on Catholics in the Diocese of Charlotte to renew their commitment to evangelization and outlining a vision focused on missionary discipleship amid ongoing tensions over liturgical changes in the western half of North Carolina.
The video message, titled “Everyone so Loves Jesus, We Share Him with Others,” was shown at all weekend Masses Feb. 14–15 after being distributed to clergy with instructions that it be played during the homily or just before the final blessing. The video was also posted on the diocesan YouTube channel.
In the message, Bishop Martin reflected on Catholics’ identity and mission.
“If we could see ourselves as God does, we would understand how beautiful and infinitely loved we are,” he said. “Too often we judge ourselves harshly, but God sees beyond our judgments, to the person He created deep within. And he loves us regardless, sins and all.”
Bishop Martin said his pastoral vision centers on all of the nearly 600,000 Catholics in the diocese loving Jesus so much that they share Him with others.
To achieve that vision, Bishop Martin outlined three priorities: forming missionary disciples, strengthening the Church as the family of God, and proclaiming the Gospel in daily life. He emphasized the need for Catholics to move beyond passive identification with the faith toward active participation.
“The difference between being a believer and a disciple is the difference between being a Carolina Panthers football fan and being a Carolina Panthers football player,” Bishop Martin said. “Fans are nice; the world needs players.”
He also encouraged Catholics to view evangelization as part of everyday life.
“When we think of missionaries, we think of people who are so in love with Jesus that they would go to remote places in the world to spread His love,” Bishop Martin said. “No need for us to travel, since there are already so many places in our daily lives that we have made remote by never bringing Jesus there.”
Bishop Martin concluded by entrusting the diocese to Mary, Mother of the Church, and by praying that Catholics would embrace their mission to share the Gospel. He said more details about the pastoral vision would be shared in the coming months.
The message drew significant attention in advance of its release. As Zeale News previously reported, pastors were instructed to show a password-protected video at all weekend Masses — an unusual step that heightened anticipation among clergy and laity.
The password protection was lifted shortly before the video was first played publicly, and the intrigue it garnered proved to be an effective way of drawing a large audience within the diocese and beyond.
The directive followed months of controversy surrounding liturgical changes Bishop Martin introduced in 2025. Zeale News previously reported that tensions escalated after new norms, including restrictions on using altar rails for receiving Communion, affected the Traditional Latin Mass and other practices.
In January, 31 priests submitted dubia, or formal questions, to the Vatican seeking clarification on Bishop Martin’s authority to implement certain changes. Bishop Martin previously said he would comply if the Vatican determined he had exceeded his authority.
While some clergy and lay Catholics have expressed concern about the changes, Bishop Martin did not address those disputes directly in his pastoral message.