A gunman who opened fire at a Secret Service checkpoint outside the White House May 23 was killed after agents returned fire, according to reports.
CBS News reported that President Trump was in the White House during the incident, which occurred around 6 p.m., but “was not impacted."
The White House said the suspect pulled a weapon from a bag before opening firing at the checkpoint.
Law enforcement sources told CBS that between 15 and 30 gunshots were fired before Secret Service agents returned fire, striking the suspect. He was transported to a nearby hospital where he was later pronounced dead.
A bystander was also hit by gunfire during the incident, though it remains unclear whether the shot came from the suspect or Secret Service agents. No Secret Service injuries were reported.
The incident comes nearly a month after a shooting at the White House Correspondents dinner, during which Trump, First Lady Melania Trump, and members of his cabinet were evacuated, as Zeale News previously reported.
According to the White House, the incident remains under investigation.