President Donald Trump said May 18 that he postponed a planned U.S. military strike against Iran after Gulf leaders urged more time for negotiations.
In a post on Truth Social, Trump said Qatar’s Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, and United Arab Emirates President Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan had all appealed for a pause while diplomatic efforts continue.
Trump said he directed War Secretary Pete Hegseth, Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Dan Caine, and the U.S. military to stand down for now but remain prepared for a possible “full, large scale assault” on short notice if negotiations fail.
— Rapid Response 47 (@RapidResponse47) May 18, 2026
“This Deal will include, importantly, NO NUCLEAR WEAPONS FOR IRAN!” Trump wrote.
The Gulf states, which host U.S. military installations and have previously sustained Iranian retaliatory attacks amid American and Israeli strikes on Iran, have pushed for diplomacy to avoid a broader regional conflict that could threaten oil shipments and economic stability.
Speaking to reporters about the post, Trump said “We were getting ready to do a very major attack tomorrow. I've put it off for a little while, hopefully, maybe forever.”
.@POTUS: "We were getting ready to do a very major attack tomorrow, and I put it off for a little while—hopefully maybe forever... because we've had very big discussions with Iran, and we'll see what they amount to." pic.twitter.com/nZWT41x1O9
— Rapid Response 47 (@RapidResponse47) May 18, 2026
White House Deputy Press Secretary Anna Kelly defended the administration’s approach during an appearance on Fox News, saying “President Trump holds all the cards” and pointing to the Gulf leaders Trump referenced in his post.
“These are countries that tragically were brought into this conflict by no fault of their own and attacked by this rogue Iranian regime and they are fed up with what is happening,” Kelly said.
.@AnnaKelly47 on Iran: "President Trump holds all of the cards. They have been absolutely decimated, militarily. They’re now being strangled economically by Operation Economic Fury — and now they're more isolated than ever before." pic.twitter.com/SKMEpurcLU
— Rapid Response 47 (@RapidResponse47) May 18, 2026
In a separate Truth Social post, Trump also criticized major news organizations and Democrats, claiming some media outlets would portray Iran as victorious regardless of the conflict’s outcome.
“If Iran surrenders … and if their entire remaining Leadership signs all necessary ‘Documents of Surrender,’ and admit their defeat to the great power and force of the magnificent U.S.A.,” Trump wrote in part, “The Failing New York Times, The China Street Journal (WSJ!), Corrupt and now Irrelevant CNN, and all other members of the Fake News Media, will headline that Iran had a Masterful and Brilliant Victory over The United States of America.”
— Rapid Response 47 (@RapidResponse47) May 18, 2026